Fortune cookies are weird. They operate under the basic assumption that everybody wants to be happy or distracted with good news. Perhaps it might be more helpful if fortune cookies told a more pragmatic tale.
More realistic fortunes may look something like this:
- Your presence is of little consequence to those around you.
- You will find that the anxiety and woe you feel about your life will only get worse.
- Be wary – the people you work with are plotting against you.
- Generally, most people are offended by your hygiene.
- Your younger brother will be prosperous, you will not.
- Tomorrow will be worse.
- The only purpose your hairpiece serves is comedic.
- You’re ugly when you make that face you think is funny.
- The frequency with which you masturbate is alarming.
- Tomorrow you will develop a rash on your face – it’s not going to be pretty.
- Yes, he’s cheating on you – now stop wondering.
- Your funeral will set the new record for low attendance.
- She faked it last night.
- Your life will be short and you will be plagued with ill health and erectile dysfunction.
- People laugh at you behind your back
- Sell the convertible; you’re having a mid-life crisis.
- You look like an idiot in that shirt.
- People feel a general sense of panic when you’re around.
- The prostitute you saw last night was a transsexual – and you knew it. Also, you might want to see a doctor and/or a therapist.
- Your wife knows about your homosexual tendencies.
- Your daughter is even more sexually promiscuous than you feared.
- Yes, you are getting fat. People are growing tired of lying to you when you ask.
One thing I love about fortune cookies is how ambiguous they are. What if they were a little more foreboding, while maintaining ambiguity?
- Watch your back – some shit’s gonna go down. Your health may or may not be at risk.
- Be forewarned…*sniff*
- It’s only a matter of time before yours is up.
- There is a person in this room who would love to watch you suffer.
- You will live to regret.
- There is devilry afoot.
- You should probably upgrade your life insurance, just to be safe.
- The meaning of life is…(to be continued)
- The meat you just ate was not chicken.
Other fortunes are just plain generic. Here are ideas for some universal, nonspecific alternatives.
Some Obvious “fortunes”:
- Killing people is bad karma.
- It’s impolite to stare at your boss’s wife’s breasts.
- Trix are for kids.
- Tomorrow is another day.
- Things will work themselves out...eventually.