Friday, February 22, 2008

The 2008 Academy Awards

As mentioned in another post, I will not be watching The Oscars this year. Why? I have plans and I don't care. Never have. I'm not going to pretend that I've never watched The Oscars because I certainly have, but I don't enjoy watching The Oscars.

The good thing about this year's Academy Awards is that I feel that many of the nominees are films that have been/could be enjoyed by the general public. Even if they weren't box office smashes, they are, in my opinion, generally very approachable films. Perhaps as a consequence, for the first time in a long time I found that I have watched many of the nominees. (The one major exception is Juno. I've been meaning to see it, but just haven't had the proper combination of available funds, interest and motivation.)

Three of my favorite movies this year are nominated in one category or more - No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood and Michael Clayton. Considering my previous claim that these films are all very good examples of brilliant films with a broad appeal, I heard groans at the end of each of them from people sitting around me in the movie theater, which disappointed me. Granted, I went to film school, but I don't think my education informed my sensibilities, just my bullshit detector. In fact, I have gone on record several times against "classic" films that I don't find very interesting. The irony is that the very same people I heard groaning in the theater will probably watch and put a lot of stock into The Oscars ceremony.

I would love to write a commentary after this year's Oscars. But that would necessitate me watching the ceremony for the sole purpose of making fun of it, which is exclusively the reason I've watched it in the past. But even that gets boring. Making fun of The Oscars is like staring at attractive people, laughing at puppies or cooing at babies - a knee-jerk reaction on such a primal level that it's almost instinctive. People in Hollywood are smart. So I find it hard to believe that they are not in on the joke. But sometimes it seems like they aren't.

And that worries me.

No comments: