Friday, February 29, 2008

The Coming Ninja Revolution!

When I was but a wee lad, I was obsessed with all things ninja. I would never miss a Sho Kosugi movie or one of the infinitely lamer and progressively more ridiculous American Ninja sequels with Michael Dudikoff.

I would even pretend that I was a ninja. I had a ninja costume and a plastic ninja sword. I had plastic throwing stars (there were kids that had real throwing stars, but I stayed away from them because they were troubled kids who eventually became Hare Krishna, which couldn't be more un-ninja, or "less ninja", if you want to split grammatical hairs.) For a long time, I wanted to grow up to be a ninja. This was during the 1980s, which for some reason was a heyday for ninjas (hereafter to be known "The First Ninja Surge"). Alas, I am sad to report that my ninja ambitions have yet to be realized. But dare I say, it's never too late? (It is, so I daren't.)

But mark ye this: in the very near future, there will be a pop-cultural resurgence of all things ninja. There will be ninja movies, ninja TV shows, comic books, video games, Halloween costumes, ninja-themed parties, companies named for ninjas and on and on and on.

Why do I say this? Because all of the nerds -- er, ninja fans -- that were young during the First Ninja Surge are now coming into media prominence. And like all fashionable things from decades past, unnecessary fads tend to resurface when the original fans get to a certain age and nostalgia sets in. Look no further than VH1's Remember the (insert decade here) series for proof.

Just the reporting this future phenomenon hastens its inevitable arrival. So fellow ninjas, get your (plastic) throwing stars ready!

You heard it here first.

No comments: